The Congregation of Sisters of Mary of Kakamega (SMK) is of Diocesan rite with it's headquarters in Mukumu in the Diocese of Kakamega along KIsumu-Kakamega Road.
The Congregation was started by the late Bishop Brandsma, a Mill Hill Missionary in 1932 in the Diocese of Kakamega in Kenya. He requested the help of the Ursuline Sisters from Bergen-Holland as to assist with the religious formation of the African girls who wished to become sisters. Some of these young girls were also trained as religious nuns to help other girls and women to learn to be self-sufficient in order to enhance and improve their standards of living.The Congregation came into existence as a result of the Mill Hill Missionary work and evangelization in western Kenya. The Mill Bishops, Fathers and Brothers have played an important role in the birth and growth of our institute.The Ursuline sisters of Berglam were our formators.The stem work of the congregation was spear headed by Msgr. Gorgonius Brandsma as our founder.
He worked hard to see that there were girls to continue with the missionary work as directed by the Pope. Many Mill Hill Bishops worked ethusiastically to make the history of the SMK to include Bishops Nicholas Stam, Fredrick Hall, Jan de Reeper
- Completion of the Chapel.
- Final vows of first six sisters.
- Changing of the habit and the veil.
- Approval of the directives by Rome.
- Opening of the sick bay.
- Pilgrimage to Yala to the grave of the congregation's founder Msgr. G. Brandsama.
- Approval of the amended constitution and directives by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Philp Sulumeti.
- Issuing out of the amended constitution and directives of the Sisters of Mary of Kakamega.